Sunday, September 21, 2008

My birthday gift

It was 11:45 p.m. five years ago tonight. I had read every single book I could get my hands on, so that I knew exactly what to expect. Even though the doctor said you wouldn't be here until mid-October, I knew you would be here on September 22.

Daddy and I were getting ready to go to bed. I had announced to everyone at work that I would not be in on Monday because I was having a baby that weekend, but with not even a little contraction action, we were both getting ready for the normal Monday morning routine. I just finished telling Daddy how sad I was that you hadn't decide to come yet. He was in the bathroom brushing his teeth.

And then I felt a pop.

And then I went to the bathroom.

And then I told Daddy it was time.

All of the books made it seem like we would have another eight hours until the show started. But, I had no sooner made the call to Aunt Amanda and you were ready to go. Everything the books said went out the door. I remember calling Grandpa but not being able to finish the call because you were not going to wait.

The ride to the hospital is pretty blurry. I do remember Daddy doing what felt like donuts in the parking lot because he went to the wrong entrance.

Everything was so intense, you really wanted out right away. Our doctor was nowhere to be found and the back up could not make it to the hospital in time, so they grabbed a doctor out of the hallway.

I remember a really nice nurse telling me everything was going to be okay because at the time I was really scared because nothing was going the way I had imagined.

I begged for the epidural and they actually were going to give it to me. No sooner had Daddy and Aunt Amanda left the room when the really nice nurse told me it was time to have a baby. And my body let me know it was time to have a baby.

You were ready to go.

I was scared to death.

After what felt like a million pushes later, you were here.

And I wasn't scared anymore.

I became your Mommy.

Thank you, Mooka for being the best gift I could ever receive.

No comments: