Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Soap Box - Reality TV

Note – If you are part of the majority, you will probably disagree with everything in this post.

It’s all over the media today.

The big announcement.

I haven’t watched the show for several years and gave up celebrity gossip months ago, but yet I still decided to watch.

Not because I wanted to watch another marriage bite the dust, but because I was hoping for them.

It’s completely disgusting to hear all the comments about “Like we didn’t see THAT coming.” I watched, because I thought maybe, just maybe, they would announce that they were going to get help. And then everyone today would be saying “WOW, I really didn’t see that coming.” It’s like all of the television viewers just wanted to watch the train plow into the brick wall.

But no, they took the selfish route.

This is a topic that is very real in my life. I know I am surrounded by people who constantly disagree with me when I say I choose to make marriage work for the sake of my kids. Argue as you would like, but it’s my life.

The thing I’ve learned about marriage is that it is a selfless commitment.

Sure, I think my husband is lazy (most of the time – he’s trying).
And yep, I’m a control freak and rude 70% of the time (I’m trying)
And no, it’s not easy.
And yes, there are days, weeks, months where I’m ready to throw in the towel (or pick up the baseball bat.)
And yes, I’d love to be able to go get my nails done rather than dispense 500 sippy cups of juice on a Saturday.
And yeah, A. would love to be able to buy a 75 inch television rather than pay for daycare.

But WE, made a choice. WE have two amazing little lives that WE were CHOSEN to raise. So regardless of what comes our way, WE have to put our own selfish desires aside and figure out how to make it work.

It seems like we are in the minority when it comes to this mentality anymore. Anytime we have a rough patch, the advice I’m given is leave. The advice all of the broken families get is leave.

Well, what about staying?
What about trying to work out your differences?
What about trying to focus on someone other than yourself?

It makes me so angry when I hear things like “I’m only 32, I still have my life ahead of me.” If you call chasing tail making a life for yourself, then yeah, you’ve got the rejection, loneliness and uncertainty to look forward to. Enjoy.

It made me even madder when it was said "We want what's best for the kids." Really? What's best for the kids is for the parents to grow up and start seeing beyond the end of their own noses. Kids need loving families. End of story.

This family has a ridiculous amount of money and could have paid for the best family counselors available. But the show didn’t take that route, just announce the separation take a commercial and announce the divorce.

Why not at least show them trying?!

I suppose that would not have made for must see tv.

3 comments:

Liv N Learn said...

Amen Sister! I watched, certain they were going to announce that they would be entering counseling. I could not believe they bought into the hype. Jon made me soooo mad with his laze fair little attitude. Talking about how he has to do what is best for HIM and his kids. He obviously is having a difficult time seeing past the HIM. Kate is no better though. UGH. It is so sad to see another christian family bite it on national tv.

Elise C. said...

Hey there!

I've been following your blog for a while, but never commented. I felt the need to comment on this because I agree completely. Marriage is sacred and then there are children involved too? That's a double whammy. Me and the hubby have vowed to never even think of the "D Word" -- even if we don't have kids. Like Jada Pinkett Smith said in an interview, "We may sleep in separate bedrooms for a while, but we will always be married."

Good for you for sticking to your guns despite the pressures of this foolish society.

Anonymous said...

This is why Jen and I refuse to get cable or satalite television. It seams like 90% of all "reality" tv is about me me me me me and watching people self destruct. Come to think of it broadcast tv isn't much better.

MR