Monday, July 13, 2009

How to avoid unpacking 101

This weekend I found plenty of ways to avoid unpacking. At this point, everyone has enough underwear for seven days straight and a decent rotation of clothing for during the week, so I figure we are in good shape.

Our basement is a walk-out with a very old door. An old door with a big window that would allow you to see straight in and given my families love for "being free" it just wasn't working for me. I bought this stuff at Home Depot and loved it. Typically when I start a project, I want immediate results. The beauty of this stuff is that it took about 20 minutes from start to finish to complete.

BEFORE:



AFTER:



The second way I avoided unpacking was by re-painting my outdoor furniture. This, however, was not a project that I loved. It took entirely too long and who knew it would take 7 cans of spray paint to complete. I had purchased three cans thinking that would be more than enough, so the project was not completed in one sitting. AND it hurt my finger (queue violins) to have to spray that much paint. AND, those spray can nozzle holder things that they sell are junk. AND, truth be told, I probably could use a couple more cans, but have completely lost interest in this project.

BEFORE:



AFTER:



Even with my lack of commitment to the project, I think it looks 100 times better. I still want to get an outdoor rug and paint the concrete, but it will take me a couple weeks to make nice with the furniture.

My next project is to purify the little swamp area next to my outdoor room. Also, please note, if you have kids, having a garden pond is the worst.idea.ever. Mine are using it as a carnival game in which they toss peaches from the tree into it to see who can make the biggest splash.

No comments: